Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Something Really New vs Lots that Varies

I've tried something really new to me, and like it. This feels extremely different from what I usually do: repeating forms I know, and slowly developing improved (I hope) variations on them.

How do you get into something new? In this case I was asked to make it by someone who does not know what I do not know. Not intending to charge for it,  and with no deadline, I could easily, though with warnings, say yes.






I've never made tiles before, nor designed a tile layout. How do you learn? On the web, of course, where there are infinite "how to" pottery videos.

This panel goes into a kitchen, near the beach, with 3x3 blue tiles already in it, and tan and white cabinets and trim. OK. Here I've made more-or-less 3x3 tiles, in similar colors, thinking beach. Shells for impressing the tiles from the local beaches, and our and in-laws' trips over several decades. Sandy grout, beach pebbles. OK results for a first try.

And it opens my possibilities wider than I have been thinking. That's wonderful. Thanks, Chuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment