Tuesday, February 13, 2018

And the Next Step...

Ideas develop for me, in steps.

I've been making  these heart-shaped bowls.



They started as a form, a modification of round bowls. Very quickly, though, I thought one could be an anniversary present. For that, the bowl needs some surface to write on and to read easily, perhaps a flattened rim. And a color contrast for text and background. Realizing any idea brings up its new requirements. And there are always many possible solutions (carve the text? paint it? What tools make text legible and attractive?). So far it's this:



And what next? Do I want to make them for other people? As wedding gifts? Anniversary gifts? Birth gifts? Celebration of any other love?

And what other requirements will that set up? A deadline, since these celebrate a date. Extra bowls with no use, as I usually make more than one of any special order piece (because "things" go wrong).

It's an exploration, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment