Sunday, July 15, 2018

What's the Attraction of Miniatures?

Several years ago, I made some salt bowls, an inch or two across, with tiny spoons. People bought them, more because they were cute, than because they wanted to offer salt or other spices that way.


Cuteness is an attraction in itself. These little things refer to toys, I think, and so to childhood. They fit in a palm, they invite imagination in some way that larger things do not.

Now I've been making tiny vases, two or three inches high, for just a few flowers. No doubt they are cute.


 And something more. I have one on my desk now. It's very engaging, welcoming, friendly. Fits in any small space. Each flower matters. Nothing about it is grand or formal. I notice it.


I found something off putting about people cooing over those salt bowls. But I'm liking the vases very much. We'll see how other people react, the next time I am at a show in August.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment