Monday, November 19, 2018

The Beautiful Line

Hearing the slow movement of the Dvorak Cello Concerto, I realized how important is the line, to what I find beautiful. It's a lovely melody, not much adorned by the orchestra. I listen, following the line (the melodic line, technically).

youtu.be/0aWmkcG9Sao

I love Picasso drawings, especially the simple ones, for the drawn line.
 

What about pots? Yes, it's the line that attracts me.  We all trim pots looking at the profile as a line, and trim until it looks right.

This marvel is by Jennifer Lee. Check out jenniferlee.co.uk


This is a painting, The Winter Road, by Georgia O'Keeffe.



What if it were the profile of a pot? Wouldn't it be marvelous?
 
The top edge of a pot can also be a wonderful line. I carve them sometimes and like the flowing line. In a master's hands, that can be gorgeous.







That's Ashraf Hanna's.


 How about the bottom? There was a period when people often made pots with an irregular, pushed up bottom.




From 500 Cups.


Yes, more interesting than a basic, standard, flat foot. Part of the beauty of Martha Grover's pots comes from the surprising line of her pot feet. See marthagrover.com


Are these line qualities the same thing? Drawn line is 2 dimensional. Pot profile is 3 dimensional: a line swung around the center on a wheel. Melodic line is drawn through time. You listen, following. But you look all at once. But you shape or pet a pot, following in time.

I am confused here. Don't understand, but I do see and hear. Perhaps that will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment