Saturday, April 13, 2013

Form and the Details that Matter

I've been developing a shape for jars or casseroles (same thing, choose your use). It's shape that attracts me to pots, more than color even, and far more than decoration.

I do not have much education in art or aesthetics, and so am not sure who knows this or can jump right to the best form. For me, it is often a surprise or discovery to find a good form. I think as I become a more skilled potter, I am improving both in hand and eye. 
This was the first pot in this shape. I like the handle and the rolled rim of the pot. Otherwise, kind of boring.

When it comes out well, the handle really swirls. It's light, simple and loose, and very practical --just what I like.

Ah, better when the sides slope in, on both pot and lid. The rim has a lift to it too. I'm not sure if that's as good as the rolled edge.

OK. This is it. The sloping sides, the lifted rim, the and a continuous line from pot sides up the sides of the lid. Still having trouble getting those lids to sit evenly on the pot.

This one worked well. And a safe glaze that should look good with food.






No comments:

Post a Comment