Tuesday, April 30, 2013

New Pots, Always Fun!

And yes, all fired at home in cone 6 oxidation. And, I like the results. Progress!




This blue is going to stay as one of my favorite glazes. I love the way it runs, but clear glaze near the bottom  -- it really runs.





I tried to get a mixed blue/purple on these but made the blue too thick and the red too thin; the details matter.

Definitely another favorite glaze. It shows the iron spots in speckled clay wonderfully. Why the white/blue drippy effect? No idea.






Several months ago, at the Norton Simon Museum, we found these gigantic sycamore leaves, and I, of course, saw pots in them. About a foot across, and the real leaf, except for the veins. Those I drew, looking at a real leaf.


And a big fig leaf from our tree. I like the realistic leaves, though there is no reason pots need to be real leaf forms. I guess those are just very attractive shapes in themselves.





 Here's another leaf shape, used unrealistically. These are patterned on a nasturtium leaf from our yard. Little plates, for tea bags or as a spoon rest, or whatever you think of. Someone told me she needed a small plate for her retainer! And another way around the loss of the UCSD Crafts Center: I've missed the glaze sprayer, been unwilling to buy an air compressor just for this use. But there is a small mouth blown (blow hard!) sprayer for small amounts of sprayed glaze, ok just for effect over glazes applied some other way.

I love this field. There's no end of things to discover and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment